While orthodontic treatment can enhance a smile at any age, there may be an optimal time period to begin treatment. Beginning treatment at this time ensures the greatest result in the minimum amount of time.
Early evaluation provides both timely detection of problems and greater opportunity for more effective treatment. Timely intervention guides growth and development, preventing serious problems later. This can make treatment at a later age, shorter and less complicated.
In most cases, early orthodontic intervention is not required. At this point, the orthodontist can carefully monitor growth and development and begin treatment when it is ideal.
A proper early evaluation enables a seamless treatment with periodic monitoring.
The American Association of Orthodontics advises age 7 as the optimal time for your child's first visit to an orthodontist.
The benefits of early examination and treatment are :
- Creating room for crowded, erupting teeth.
- Guide jaw growth and permanent teeth into more favourable position.
- Reduce the need for tooth removal.
- Reducing the risk of trauma to protruding teeth.
- Hold space for unerupted teeth.
- Correct harmful habits.
- Reduce treatment time with braces.
- Simplify later stages of treatment.
- The orthodontist has the opportunity to achieve a better result, that may not be possible once the growth of face and jaws is completed.
- Improves appearance and self-esteem.